Eggs and toast get eaten for breakfast in our house very often. It’s one of our favourites. Over-easy eggs are one of the finer things in life in my opinion.
But what about adding some fresh greens to the mix? I’m someone who feels the need to add fruit to my breakfast. I think it’s partly for taste and partly psychological – as though having something fresh is getting me started on the right foot. Explanations aside; it’s just what I like to eat.
Adding greens to an already favourite breakfast adds that kick of freshness, especially when they’re massaged with lemon juice and oil. Ooh and poach those eggs instead for über-health!
Runny Eggs Over Greens and Toast
- 2 slices of whole grain toast
- 2 eggs
- handful of arugula or greens (I used dandelion greens for this occasion)
- parmesan (optional)
- sea salt & pepper
- olive oil
- fresh lemon juice or a drizzle of vinegar
- Put bread into toaster. Add a drizzle of olive oil to small frying pan and heat on low-medium.
- Once heated, gently crack two eggs into the pan.
- In a bowl add a handful of greens, a drizzle of olive oil and a touch of lemon juice or vinegar. Season with salt and pepper. Add a few shavings of Parmesan cheese, if you like, and toss.
- When you see the whites of your eggs are cooked and the yolk is still runny turn off the heat.
- Put toast on a plate, butter it, and place the greens on top. Then finish with the two eggs (sunny side up) and season the top of the eggs with salt and pepper.
- Perfect, healthy, satisfying-beyond-belief breakfast :)