I love baking quick breads like this. For a novice baker it’s the kind of thing that gives me a rare hour of ultra-content. Baking quick breads is predictable, stable, and so satisfying. Whisk your dry, then your wet ingredients. Add one to the other, combine and bake.
What could be more simple and rewarding? Nothing better on a blustery Autumn day than a slice of warm pumpkin bread and a hot cup of tea (crazy cat dominating your lap is optional but unavoidable in my case…).
I got to share some of this loaf with new friends. That’s a nice sentence to write. New friends who I was fortunate enough to spend time with at a cabin this weekend. All local food bloggers so…we ate. Oh, heck yeah, we did. Unbelievable bacon jam that I was lucky enough to steal the leftovers of. Homemade breads, salsas, soups, salads, cakes, more jams. We did not go hungry, in case you were worried.
But back to my first pumpkin bread. It’s specked with little chunks of walnut and lightly spiced. It’s not overly pumpkin-y which I appreciate. Americans go so very wild for pumpkin, it’s slightly alarming. If you prefer a more subtle taste of pumpkin, try this. It’s so very good, friends. Share it with yours, old or new.
adapted from A Cozy Kitchen
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan with softened butter and flour.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a larger bowl, whisk pumpkin puree, oil, eggs, pumpkin pie spice, and sugar until smooth.
- Using a spatula, fold in the flour mixture until just combined, making sure to not over-mix the batter. Fold in walnuts.
- Add the batter to the greased/floured loaf pan and place in oven. Bake for 40-65 minutes (I find baking times vary wildly depending on your oven so more importantly, bake until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean).
- Cool in pan on rack for 15 minutes, then invert and cool completely on a wire rack. Serve at room temperature.