Friends, this is it. The only hot chocolate recipe you’ll ever need for snuggly nights curled up in your pjs. You might remember that I linked to this article on The Guardian about how to make the perfect hot chocolate a couple of weeks ago. Well, I mulled it over for a while (meaning I ran to the store to stock up on cream and good chocolate immediately) and played around until I found perfection.
Perfection, in case you were wondering, involves 70% dark chocolate (Green & Blacks Organic is my favourite), really good milk chocolate, normal milk (we use skimmed at home) and a healthy slog of heavy cream. Add a pinch of cinnamon and a pinch of salt and you have yourself a cup of perfect hot chocolate.
Perfect Hot Chocolate
adapted from Felicity Cloake via The Guardian
- 225ml skimmed milk
- 35g 70% dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 15g good-quality milk chocolate, finely chopped
- 30ml heavy (double) cream
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- Warm about a quarter of your milk in a pan over a medium heat and stir in the chocolate. Continue to stir until the chocolate has melted into the milk, then whisk in the remaining milk and the cream.
- Continue to heat until the mixture is hot, but not boiling, then add the cinnamon and salt. Taste, adjust if necessary, and serve. For a frothier cup, whisk vigorously just before pouring. Serves 1.