Here is your Chicken Wing Party Manual.
Take twenty pounds of chicken wings.
Heat one vat of vegetable oil to scalding.
Add three different homemade sauces and one dry rub.
Blue cheese dressing mellows things out in a super cheesy way. Crudites are optional but not really that welcome at our parties. Let’s keep it wing-central.
Throw in a cooler full of beer, a couple dozen loud, awesome friends, tiki torches for those mid-summer mosquitoes, and you have yourself the perfect recipe.
I’m married to a chicken wing lover. This is how things go down once a year in our backyard on hot, steamy, beer-fueled, bug-y nights. I highly recommend it.
Dry Jerk Rub
recipe from Food.com
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon crushed dried hot pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried chives
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- Combine all herbs and spices together and transfer to a seal-able plastic bag.
- Add chicken wings and coat with rub. Makes enough for 12 wings. Or after the wings are cooked, transfer to a mixing bowl toss wings to coat with dry rub. Increase recipe as desired.
adapted from here
- 8 tablespoons Louisiana hot sauce (Frank’s is the brand used in Buffalo)
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- salt to taste
- Mix all the ingredients in a saucepan, and over low heat bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally, then turn off.
- After the wings are cooked, transfer to a large mixing bowl. Pour the sauce over the hot wings and toss to completely coat.
Blue Cheese Dressing
from David Lebovitz
- 4 ounces (115g) blue cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp finely chopped chives
- 1/4 cup (60g) sour cream, regular or lowfat
- 1/4 cup (60ml) buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice or white wine vinegar
- a few drops of red wine vinegar
- In a medium bowl, mash the blue cheese with the salt and a few grinds of pepper with the back of a fork until the pieces of cheese are finely broken up.
- Stir in the chives, sour cream, buttermilk, and lemon juice or wine vinegar until well mixed.
- Add a few drops of red wine vinegar. Taste, and adjust any of the seasonings to your liking and if the dressing too thick, add a bit more buttermilk.