Wowzers. It is World Cup central right now and I am loving it.
As a country, England tends to go fairly bananas over the World Cup – as do most European and South American nations. It’s a hella big deal. This is the second World Cup that I’ve been in America for.
Last time, in 2006, I was spending my first summer as a graduate hanging out with my boy in Austin for 3 months of sun, football and margaritas before I took off backpacking round the world for 10 months. Wanting to rewind to then juuuust slightly…
This however, is the first where England and the U.S. have actually had to play each other. Phew! That was some tension in our living room today! Three Brits and – oh – ten Americans. Yowzers. Who are you supporting?
I needed some calming down after all that tension and high emotion. (And beer). (Just a little).
Yep, months. I haven’t been quite able to get around to it though, mainly because caving in and making my own granola (unlike making my own muesli) inevitably involves the realisation that no, granola is not really healthy. And yes, it does have a ton of sugary, maple syrupy, oily goodness in it. Sigh.
- 3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 3/4 cups raw pistachios, hulled
- 3/4 cups combination of raw cashews, almonds and pecans
- 1 cup raw pumpkin seeds, hulled
- 1 cup coconut chips
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup agave syrup
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 3/4 cup chopped dried apricots
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. In a large bowl, combine oats, pistachios, pumpkin seeds, coconut chips, maple syrup, olive oil, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon and cardamom. Spread mixture on a rimmed baking sheet in an even layer and bake for 45 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes, until golden brown and well toasted.
2. Transfer granola to a large bowl and add apricots, tossing to combine. Serve with ricotta and fruit, or Greek yoghurt and honey, if desired.
Still. Worth it? I think so…
Have you ever made your own granola? Favourite kind?
How amazing does this peanut butter and honey version sound?!