Yes. More breakfast. If biscuits, bacon, and eggs aren’t your thing then how about some wonderfully flavoured waffles? It’s all thanks to Gourmet and this fabulous recipe. If you’ve got more of a sweet tooth then whip up a batch of these. I promise, they’re easy peasy. So easy, in fact, that I made them on a weekday and didn’t even have to get up early or anything. No excuses. Make some this weekend.
The sour cream gives these a different texture than you usually get with buttermilk batter – smooth and dreamy. The cardamom adds just a pop of brightness and is much less apparent than in these cardamom oatmeal pancakes. Subtlety is key here and makes the addition of blueberry preserves on top stand out with a big, fat pop!*
Cardamom Sour Cream Waffles
- 1.5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Rounded 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat a waffle iron until hot.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cardamom.
- Whisk together remaining ingredients in another bowl, then whisk into flour mixture until just combined.
- Lightly brush waffle iron with oil and cook waffles according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Enjoy with berry preserves and a glass of orange juice.
*If you’re massively indecisive like me, have two! One with preserves and one
drowned drizzled with maple syrup. Double win.