Woah. Hold up. Take a step back. Deep breath. Okay, now.
Please do not adjust your screen. You read right….bacon…cookies… I went there.
I can’t decide if this is amazingly trashy or super gourmet. I basically think it’s brilliant.
Candied bacon is my new favourite thing in the entire world. If you didn’t think crispy bacon was delicious enough already, try sprinkling brown sugar all over bacon and then baking it. And get ready to have your mind blown.
But in cookies? Does it really work? Honestly, after I made these cookies the first time I decided they needed more bacon. Not joking.
So, for the second batch I added a little more salt and enough bacon to make sure there’s no mistaking what’s going on here. I nearly died of happiness when I licked the batter from the bowl.
Now they’re pretty stellar and I’ve gained five pounds. You’re welcome.
I based the cookies on the original toll house chocolate chip cookie recipe with some minor adjustments. I have had it drilled into me that it is hands down the best chocolate chip cookie recipe of all time.
Bet they never expected someone to add bacon to it. Mwahahaha.
Every bacon-y bite was a dream come true. Do you think I’m crazy? Come over and have a cookie and I think you’ll see what I mean.
For the candied bacon:
- 8-10 slices center cut thick bacon (American bacon – or streaky bacon, as we call it in England – is best here)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
For the cookies:
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1.5 cups semi sweet chocolate chip cookies
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Place bacon in a single layer on a foil lined sheet. Sprinkle brown sugar on top of bacon strips. Bake for 18-25 minutes or until crispy, making sure to turn bacon over after 10 minutes. Feel free to dunk and drag it through the delicious juiciness that’s collected on the foil.
- Remove from oven and place on a wire rack for cooling. Once bacon has cooled chop it finely.
- Combine flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in bacon and chocolate chips. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake for 11 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- Get ready to make friends.